Wednesday, August 16, 2006

(10+2)*5 update and a bunch of other stuff, too

I have been trying the (10+2)*5 procrastination hack all week, and I must say, it really has worked well so far in keeping me focused and motivated to do work. Several notes:
1) It doesn't so much matter what numbers get plugged in, as long as you keep to whatever number you have plugged in. (9+3) could work as easily as (10+5) or (20+10), I think. The point is, you work hard for the first part, with the knowledge that a break is coming, which both gives you motivation to get as far with what you're doing as you can -- like a personal challenge, and also allows you to see the light of pleasure just beyond the slough of meniality, which totally psyches you into being able to wade through to the end of the task.
2) What was I thinking when I thought I might not have an hour's worth of work to do? I've been going non-stop for a few days now.

A few other things:

  • I'm very interested in trying this to help me keep all my tasks and appointments all on one page. I'll let you know how it goes.

  • I may be listing things to get rid of but not actually getting rid of them for another week or so. As I was on my way to donate clothes to Purple Heart, my wife stopped me and asked that I donate them instead to a garage sale (yes, a dreaded garage sale!) being held to benefit the Ann Arbor chapter of the Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation, happening a week-and-a-half from now. If any of you other townies (you know who you are!) want to donate as well, let me know.

  • I acquired something I don't need. It's a tube. For my pond. I have to count that. I mean, I paid money for it, and it isn't a necessity. If I don't count the things I acquire, what good is it to count the things I've rid myself? Do I rid myself of things only to indiscriminately acquire more? I don't think so!
    Anyway, the acquired looked something like this:

  • One more thing to add to the list of stuff I'm getting rid of: my old Saturn SC2. Pictures and details later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home