Friday, July 14, 2006

If it's cheap, do I still not need it?

There is something to be said for the satisfaction of getting something you need for cheap. Furnishing your first apartment with hand-me-downs and deep discount items is smart and rewarding. We furnished our first several apartments this way.

But at some point, I probably have enough furnishings. Sure, that bentwood rocker looks nice, but we don't need another chair. A blender that works 'like new!' at $1.25 is a steal, but we have a blender. So, why am I drawn like Mr. Bill to a golf cleat to signs like the one in the picture to the above-left? How does this help me in simplifying my life? It seems so prudent -- recycling someone's old stuff by re-using it myself, and paying much lower than market value. But how does that help me to reduce?

Maybe it will help me to remember what Strong Bad has to say about this: A garage sale is just a garbage sale with a 'b' missing.

2 Comments:

Blogger earthchick said...

ha ha ha

Yeah, this is the problem with freecycle, too. I can get rid of stuff, but everyday my inbox is also bombarded with offers of things I'll never need but am still strangely tempted by....

8:02 AM  
Blogger unstable knitter said...

Oh, why do I never listen to the wisdom of the mighty Strong Bad? This is my problem, exactly. "Cheap as free" is the price tag I like, but I get way too much crap I never use at exactly that price.

Oh, and speaking of SB...
Teh buttonz
Un-girly enough for you? ;)

12:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home